Ace Eagle Disc Golf Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» the triple "F"...foundation fall fling
Dubois County Park EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 9:32 pm by dahig

» Buffalo Trace Open
Dubois County Park EmptyFri Jun 26, 2015 9:01 am by Adam

» 5th Annual Seviren Lang Memorial
Dubois County Park EmptyTue Mar 24, 2015 2:03 pm by Adam

» 2014 Kentucky State Disc Golf Championships
Dubois County Park EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 10:33 am by Hyzer'n_Howie

» 2014 Holler In the Hills
Dubois County Park EmptyTue May 20, 2014 9:00 am by Hyzer'n_Howie

» Ace Eagle Club Meeting. Every Second Wednesday of the month
Dubois County Park EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 7:43 pm by AceEagle1

» Camp Reveal Work Days
Dubois County Park EmptySat Mar 22, 2014 11:48 am by AceEagle1

» Club Unity
Dubois County Park EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 2:25 pm by AceEagle1

» PDGA Director gets some props
Dubois County Park EmptySat Mar 01, 2014 12:19 am by AceEagle1

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Dubois County Park

+5
Geezer
AceEagle1
MKern41598
zdiscer
scottyb
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dubois County Park Empty Dubois County Park

Post  scottyb Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:37 pm

This is straight from the Park Board Presidents desk.. a good showing would be nice. If you're in the area swing by and show your support, it's mostly about a numbers and getting people there to say "Yes I support disc golf in Dubois County". This is along time coming so any support from others on this would be great, thanks! Scott

Good afternoon,

I wanted to remind you that the Dubois County Board of Park and Recreation is having a Public Meeting to discuss the 5 Year Master Plan and the needs and wants for the citizens of Dubois County. Public input and feedback is welcome.

The Meeting is scheduled for Monday, December 5, 2011, at 6:30 pm at the Clover Pavilion at the Dubois County 4H Fairgrounds.

This would be a good opportunity for interested parties in a Disc Golf Course to give the Board positive feedback and support for constructing a disc golf course. Thanks, Jason Schmitt.

scottyb
Addicted to Disc Golf

Back to top Go down

Dubois County Park Empty Re: Dubois County Park

Post  zdiscer Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:15 am

Just another reminder about the December 5th meeting at the Dubois Co. 4H park. The more supporters the faster we'll have a new course. 6:30pm EST clown
zdiscer
zdiscer
Duffer

Back to top Go down

Post  MKern41598 Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:58 am

Can I bring family?
MKern41598
MKern41598
Addicted to Disc Golf

Back to top Go down

Post  AceEagle1 Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:23 pm

MKern41598 wrote:Can I bring family?

Yes....family,friends,aliens...
AceEagle1
AceEagle1
Club President
Club President

http://www.ONETIMEDISCGOLF.com

Back to top Go down

Post  scottyb Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:54 am

MKern41598 wrote:Can I bring family?

Please do!!

scottyb
Addicted to Disc Golf

Back to top Go down

Post  MKern41598 Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:43 pm

Hoping for good things to come tonight!!!!
MKern41598
MKern41598
Addicted to Disc Golf

Back to top Go down

Post  MKern41598 Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:17 pm

Great turn out for the meeting I see good things in the next couple of months.
MKern41598
MKern41598
Addicted to Disc Golf

Back to top Go down

Post  zdiscer Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:17 am

MKern41598 wrote:Great turn out for the meeting I see good things in the next couple of months.

I agree! Last night's turnout at the meeting was great and made the differance to turn the corner and we will now have a nice course in Dubois Co. We also opened the door for a lot of the towns and cities themselves to look into adding a course to their local park system. Thanks to everyone who came and showed their support.
zdiscer
zdiscer
Duffer

Back to top Go down

Post  scottyb Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:09 am

zdiscer wrote:
MKern41598 wrote:Great turn out for the meeting I see good things in the next couple of months.

I agree! Last night's turnout at the meeting was great and made the differance to turn the corner and we will now have a nice course in Dubois Co. We also opened the door for a lot of the towns and cities themselves to look into adding a course to their local park system. Thanks to everyone who came and showed their support.

Very true Zach, I did share my contact info with Huntingburg and Jasper's park board leader, so your right this could explode into something big. I think there eyes kind of lit up when they saw that a DG course is only 20k and an the resurfacing of two tennis courts which last 5 years is the same cost. Thanks for everyone that showed up too support, glad to see progress with this after drilling them on it every year for the last 4 years or so. Good things to come I'm sure.

scottyb
Addicted to Disc Golf

Back to top Go down

Post  AceEagle1 Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:20 am

It was a very positive meeting! Good Job Fellas!!
AceEagle1
AceEagle1
Club President
Club President

Back to top Go down

Post  scottyb Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:21 pm

A nice article in the Dubois County Herald today on the front page, thanks to Candy Neal for the great write up.

The Herald
DuboisCountyHerald.com | TUESDAY, DEC 6, 2011

Disc golf dominates parks master plan hearing
By CANDY NEAL
Herald Staff Writer

BRETZVILLE — Residents really want a disc golf course installed in a Dubois County park.

Of the 35 people who attended Monday’s public hearing about the proposed five-year master plan for county parks, 30 were there to support the course. That is the only topic that received public comment.

“It would be a great thing for this community,” said Celestine resident Scott Bateman. “We know it is a very low-cost sport and very sustainable.”

The Dubois County Park Board, which ran the hearing at the 4-H fairgrounds, is looking to work on such a course in 2013, according to the timeline in its proposed master plan. The projected cost stated in the plan is $10,000.

“Do you think $10,000 is enough?” County parks board President Jason Schmitt asked Bateman. “We were stabbing in the dark” when calculating an amount.

Bateman said it probably would be enough to start the course, but more would be needed in later years. “I think more along the lines of $20,000 would be better,” he said.

Disc golf is similar to golf, but uses a weighted disc instead of golf balls and clubs.

A disc golf course is one of nine ideas the county park board listed in its own plan and one of dozens proposed in the overall plan, which is for 2012 to 2016. Each plan was read at Monday’s meeting.

The county parks master plan is a five-year guide for new projects and improvements for each public park in the county. It encompasses plans and timelines developed by the county park board and boards in each of the municipalities. Park boards that have a current master plan can apply for grant funding for projects.

All of the disc golf supporters at Monday’s hearing said they play the sport at Patoka Lake and in Louisville. They said they’ve seen many others from Dubois County playing on Patoka’s course. So if one is installed in the county park, “it will be something that will be used,” Chris Knies of Dubois said. “It won’t just sit there.”

Many said they’ve played the sport for more than 10 years. The youngest player in the audience was 10; the oldest was 62-year-old Kent Fleck of Jasper.

“It’s something people will do. And it gets people out there walking,” Fleck said. “If this 60-year-old can get out there, anyone can.”

Zach Mehringer of Jasper said that when he lived in Michigan, which has more than 300 disc golf courses, he played the sport a lot. “When I moved back to Jasper four years ago, I was disappointed that we didn’t have a course,” he said.

The idea of having a disc golf course somewhere in the county has been discussed for years. A course was proposed for the county park in the 1990s. But the interest seemed to decrease, so the park board didn’t pursue the idea. In 2005, the Ferdinand Park Board included the idea in its master plan, but it did not develop further. The county board heard requests for a course from residents in 2007; the board has been seriously considering the idea since.

“The fact that you all are here tells us that there’s a great interest in this,” park board member Jim Hubers said. “And the range of ages (here) is impressive.”

The county parks plan must be sent to the Indiana Department of Natural Resources for review by Jan. 15. DNR officials will send the proposal back to the county with comments, said Lisa Gehlhausen, executive director of the Indiana 15 Regional Planning Commission, which helped gather information for and compile the updated plans. Once those are reviewed, each municipality will pass a resolution adopting its master plan; those resolutions and the updated plan will be sent back to DNR by April 15, Gehlhausen said.

The existing master plan expires Dec. 31.

scottyb
Addicted to Disc Golf

Back to top Go down

Post  scottyb Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:18 pm

An update for you guys.

Plans for county disc golf course shift forward
By JOHN SEASLY
DC Herald Staff Writer

BRETZVILLE — After many years and much discussion, plans are in motion to construct a disc golf course at Dubois County Park.

At its first meeting of the year Tuesday, the Dubois County Park and Recreation Board agreed to move forward with the disc golf idea. On Jan. 23, the board will propose the idea to the Dubois County Commissioners, the governmental body that owns the property, and the Dubois County Council, which oversees the park board’s budget.

Before the board meets again in April, a subcommittee must decide where in the park to build the course, how to design it and the estimated cost. Jason Schmitt, the board’s president, said he hopes the project can be completed this year.

“We’re trying to get the best product for the best cost,” Schmitt said.

Although no cost has been set, the board’s estimates range from $10,000 to $40,000. HB Clark, a professional disc golf course designer from Bowling Green, Ky., who attended Tuesday’s meeting, said construction of a lower-end course could cost $400 per hole, while a higher-end course could cost $1,000. Labor could cost an additional 50 to 75 percent. A typical course has 18 holes, Clark said.

The idea of a disc golf course at the park was first discussed nearly 20 years ago, Schmitt said. Local interest has grown steadily during the last five years.

The disc golf course was included in a five-year master plan discussed at a public hearing in November. Although the hearing covered dozens of line items for not only the county park but also the municipal parks in the county, 30 of the 35 people who attended the hearing were there to support the disc golf course.

Nationally, the sport is becoming more and more popular. The Professional Disc Golf Association has seen its membership rise from 3,904 in 1996 to more than 15,000 in 2010. The group estimates that 500,000 people play regularly. Disc golf is similar to regular golf, except players use a flying disc instead of golf balls, and their hands instead of clubs.

“It’s not a fad,” Clark said. “It’s something that continues to grow.”

Clark built his first course in 1977 and is now designing his 57th. Disc golf is a passive recreation, Clark said, with a low level of land development and no need for a referee.

There is only one disc golf course in Dubois County, at Patoka Lake. The next-closest course is in Evansville.

As a site for a disc golf course, Dubois County Park has several advantages, Schmitt said. The government-owned park has the resources to build a course and the land to build it on. Its central location, Schmitt said, means that Dubois County residents near and far can enjoy a round of disc golf, if the park board’s plan is approved.

“Our members feel very strongly about it,” Schmitt said.

scottyb
Addicted to Disc Golf

Back to top Go down

Post  MKern41598 Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:31 pm

How did HB get involved with this?
MKern41598
MKern41598
Addicted to Disc Golf

Back to top Go down

Post  scottyb Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:35 pm

I invited him up to give them a quote and feedback.

And he wasn't the only one that was invited, just the only one to show up to a private meeting. I expect Dave Mac to give his course design/proposal on this as well, as I love what GDS has done for this sport, also his courses from what I've heard (have yet to play Centralia, are phenomenal). I just wanted to make it clear that HB isn't the only one to give a quote, this was open to 4 different designers. HB happened to just show up at the meeting, which I didn't realize was public.

The main thing I wanted people to get off of my post is that the course is coming, there are no IF's now, it will be here this year. Put that in writing, I'm stoked, wish others were as well instead of focusing on the designer that is chosen. Until next time...

scottyb
Addicted to Disc Golf

Back to top Go down

Dubois County Park Empty County Council has doubts

Post  Geezer Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:16 am

The new Council president is acting like he never heard of Disc Golf.
I think they have to OK the funds.
Story is on DC Free Press D.C.FREEP

Geezer

Back to top Go down

Post  scottyb Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:07 pm

Geezer wrote: The new Council president is acting like he never heard of Disc Golf.

Geezer, how goes it. They are unfamiliar with disc golf but it is not a problem, as with most people the mention of disc golf draws an odd stare, they trust the boards decision and OK'D the progression of the course, now it goes to the Commissions for the final OK. Jason Schmitt made them aware of what he is bringing to the plate so they are informed before the meeting so it does not fall upon deaf ears. There is a subcommittee that the parks department has created to deal with the disc golf construction and design and are taking quotes right now. It's moving along so we will see.

scottyb
Addicted to Disc Golf

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlie Aubrey Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:53 pm

scottyb wrote:
Geezer wrote: The new Council president is acting like he never heard of Disc Golf.

Geezer, how goes it. They are unfamiliar with disc golf but it is not a problem, as with most people the mention of disc golf draws an odd stare, they trust the boards decision and OK'D the progression of the course, now it goes to the Commissions for the final OK. Jason Schmitt made them aware of what he is bringing to the plate so they are informed before the meeting so it does not fall upon deaf ears. There is a subcommittee that the parks department has created to deal with the disc golf construction and design and are taking quotes right now. It's moving along so we will see.

Thanks for the updates, guys.
Charlie Aubrey
Charlie Aubrey
Addicted to Disc Golf

Back to top Go down

Dubois County Park Empty Thanks

Post  Geezer Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:28 pm

Thanks for the update, also thanks for all the work you put toward getting this, I think they are gonna be suprised by the use it will get being in such a central location.
let me know if you need any help with anything or just people to show up for a meeting.

scottyb wrote:

Geezer

Back to top Go down

Post  scottyb Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:46 am

Thanks goes out to you guys for showing up for the meeting, that was the real deciding factor for them moving forward on this.

Geezer wrote:Thanks for the update, also thanks for all the work you put toward getting this, I think they are gonna be suprised by the use it will get being in such a central location.
let me know if you need any help with anything or just people to show up for a meeting.

scottyb wrote:

scottyb
Addicted to Disc Golf

Back to top Go down

Post  AceEagle1 Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:22 am

I'm not sure if your talking about the meeting I went or not, but the one I attended was by far the most positive talks I have ever seen. That night in my mind was a major tipping point for the DC area.

Geezer, glad to see you on the board! We should catch a round sometime...maybe the PLC Ice Bowl!!
AceEagle1
AceEagle1
Club President
Club President

Back to top Go down

Post  scottyb Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:30 am

For sure Ben, that was definitely the meeting I was talking about.

And yes Geezer come out to the Patoka Lake Ice Bowl, it's random draw doubles and benefits the local Community Food Bank.

AceEagle1 wrote:I'm not sure if your talking about the meeting I went or not, but the one I attended was by far the most positive talks I have ever seen. That night in my mind was a major tipping point for the DC area.

Geezer, glad to see you on the board! We should catch a round sometime...maybe the PLC Ice Bowl!!

scottyb
Addicted to Disc Golf

Back to top Go down

Post  mark twang Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:39 am

Where in Dubois County are they thinking of putting this course?
mark twang
mark twang

Back to top Go down

Post  JobWilson82 Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:49 pm

mark twang wrote:Where in Dubois County are they thinking of putting this course?

4H Fairgrounds (Dubois County Park)... just north of Bretzville on 162.
JobWilson82
JobWilson82
Club Treasurer
Club Treasurer

Back to top Go down

Post  scottyb Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:01 am

The DC Park should be in the ground by June 2012, work will begin next week! Booyah!

scottyb
Addicted to Disc Golf

Back to top Go down

Post  scottyb Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:26 pm

Recent Article in Paper:

The Dubois County Park and Recreation Board expects to have a disc golf course up and running at the Dubois County Park less than two months from now.

Although a contract has yet to be signed and construction has not begun, the park board has agreed on a course proposal and is proceeding with plans to build it before the next meeting in July.

Disc golf is similar to regular golf, except players use a flying disc instead of golf balls, and their hands instead of clubs.

“We still have some details to work out,” Park Superintendent Bob Gress said.

At the group’s quarterly meeting April 10, the park board reviewed three proposals. The board still needed proof of insurance and an estimate on the cost of a practice basket from its first-choice proposal by Gateway Disc Sports of Maryland Heights, Mo. The board members agreed that if nobody could contact the builder by April 13 then the board would move forward with its second-choice proposal by professional course designer HB Clark of Bowling Green, Ky.

Since the board did not hear back from Gateway Disc Sports, Clark’s proposal was accepted Thursday. The board expects to spend roughly $15,000 for design and construction of the course, Gress said. The course probably will wrap its way around the lake in the southeast corner of the park. He expects it to be open to the public by June.

The idea of a disc golf course at the park was first discussed nearly 20 years ago, park board President Jason Schmitt said, and local interest has grown steadily in the last five years.

The disc golf course was included in a five-year master plan discussed at a public hearing in November. Clark, who attended the board’s January meeting, built his first course in 1977. Disc golf is a passive recreation, Clark said, meaning that a low level of land development is required and there is no need for a referee.

There is only one disc golf course in Dubois County, at Patoka Lake. The next-closest course is in Evansville.

The park board and Clark expect to sign a contract in the next couple days. Clark will design the course in the first few weeks of May and plans to have the course open to the public in June. Give or take a few courses, the Dubois County Park course will be the 60th that Clark has built. The goal, he said, is to make the course both fun for new players as well as challenging for veteran players.

“It’s really dependent on my design,” he said.

scottyb
Addicted to Disc Golf

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next